Monday 23 June 2014

Above the Vaulted Sky - Page 170

                'This is looking very Montana like to me,' Elle says.

                'How do you know from a look?'

                'I've done a lot of air miles, Easton. I know the shape of the world, the lie of the land. Plus I used to watch a lot of TV. Daytime TV bad guys love this kind of place.'

                'I take that as an insult,' Teague calls over his shoulder. 'I'm much more primetime.'

                Elle purses her lips and raises her eyebrows in approval. 'Okay, point one for Teague. He's growing on me.'

                'Yeah, like a fungus,' Yates says and they laugh again.

                The front door of the manor swings open to Teague's touch. I wonder why he doesn't just walk through it. Maybe for the pleasure of living. The power he still has over the real world.

                'We move around a lot,' he says. 'So we never bother making a place look like home.'

                The thought of Teague having a home confuses me for a second. That this megalomaniac scientist could have ever been a child, happily running around on a beach. To me he seems the eternal madman.

                'Honey, I'm home!' he calls.

                His voice rings out and bounces off the empty walls covered in dust.
                Two wide staircases curl upwards on either side of the hall. The floor is black and white like a chessboard and chandeliers hang from the ceiling. They're covered in so much spider's web that it's unclear where the web ends and crystal begins.

No comments:

Post a Comment