Tuesday 24 June 2014

Above the Vaulted Sky - Page 175

                ‘The Great Beyond is the next stage,’ Thacker explains. ‘I discovered it a long time ago. I had a friend, a dear dear friend who was plagued by a terrible sadness. He found the path onwards.’

                ‘This sounds very airy fairy to me,’ Elle says, crossing her arms. ‘Where’s your proof?’

                ‘One second he was there, the next he wasn’t,’ Thacker says. She doesn’t seem annoyed by Elle’s comments. She seems rather used to the dissent. ‘I need no further proof.’

                ‘Sounds like you got dumped to me,’ Elle remarks. ‘I’ve prayed. I used to be a weekender at all sorts of holy houses. I don’t need to tell you they never got answered.’

                I look at Elle and imagine her praying in the small hours. Praying for life and having it taken away from her. I don’t blame her from being sceptical.

                ‘You speak like I’m selling a religion,’ Thacker says. ‘I merely give the truth, the next scientific stage in a human being’s personal evolution. I would argue that you prayed for life and were awarded it in another form. I’m a student of the sciences, but that doesn’t mean there can’t be more to the universe. No being is all-powerful but some can certainly be more powerful than others.’

                Teague nods along all the way through Thacker’s speech. ‘You’re all young in this world,’ he says. ‘There are whole churches devoted to the gift of living on. Some of these sects believe we can travel further. This is what I wanted to do for you, Easton, back when we were connected. Travelling beyond this land means losing your form yes, but you become so much more than a single person. You become part of a network. The network we already share.’

                ‘The Edge?’ I say. ‘Is that what you mean?’

                ‘Of course,’ Thacker answers for him. ‘You’ve contacted each other using just your thoughts, you can leave this country and re-enter the universe at any physical point. This is proof that human beings are connected in a very real sense. Physical bodies rob that of us. Once my work on this plain has ceased I shall leave it and commence my journey onwards.’

                ‘So you think we’re all one big happy family and we should leave the mortal coil?’ Elle says. ‘I like this one thanks.’

                ‘But you’ll be giving up eternal life and the knowledge of everyone who has travelled the path. Being godlike!’

No comments:

Post a Comment