Monday 23 June 2014

Above the Vaulted Sky - Page 166

                'That's completely beside the point,' Yates says. 'We go no further until someone tells us what's going on.'

                I swell with pride for my friends. My friends who, a lot of the time are stronger than me and push me to be better myself.

                'It's fairly simple,' Teague chides. 'Did you really think the entire earth would adopt your freeloving, freeroaming lifestyle after death? Human beings band together. It's a simple fact of life. We're like rats on a sinking ship.'

                'Always the optimist,' I say, crossing my arms. 'Are there other groups?'

                'Oh thousands,' he replies. 'The Council are among the noisiest. A lot of people fear disorder. They believe it is the first recipe in brewing chaos.'

                'But we're ghost's, what can we do?'

                'Easton, you're looking at exhibit A,' Elle says. 'Where he's concerned, I can see the Council's point.'

                'But that's where you're wrong.' Teague slides down the slope. The ground is damp here. The waves growing ever closer to our ankles. 'I may have been overzealous in my early efforts, but my viewpoint is valid. After death, we don't stop existing. We go on living, there is no difference between the two.'

                'Then why did you want to return to life so much?' I ask. 'In Rome you were desperate to.'
                'Position,' he says. 'Power and fear. Even I'll admit that. I feared the crossing but now I embrace it, all thanks to Robin.'

No comments:

Post a Comment