Wednesday 11 June 2014

Above the Vaulted Sky - Page 162

                Because they’re the ones who are willing to take it.
                The voice is familiar, and not one I wanted to hear again. I look at him in the glass cage. He sits cross legged with his eyes closed. He doesn’t regard us, or make any indication that he knows we’ve arrived, but Teague knows we’re here.
                Don’t be surprised, you look surprised. I don’t want you to give the game away.
                How are you doing this? I think back.
                It’s not a secret. I’ve learned a lot since we last met. The people here are fools and you’re going to help me take them down.
                You’ve got another thing coming. Elle says.
                I close my eyes for a second. Teague lights up like a firework.
                How did you become a spirit again? Don’t tell me someone’s paying the price for this.
                I’m shocked as I realise we’re in trouble. I can’t help it, but I turn around and look at Yates.
                ‘Oh god,’ Elle says.
                You’re right, he won’t have long. Teague says. He sounds happy.
                ‘Windermere,’ I say. The woman had been looking at a computer with a tall man with glasses. She turns her attention to us again. ‘We need to find Graham, my friend.’
                ‘We know all about Yates’s condition,’ Windermere says. ‘I’m surprised you didn’t realise it already.’
                I realise my mistake and my heart sinks. I’d been so worried about my own problems that I’d forgotten that Yates was in danger. How much longer did he have? I don’t know how long we were in the cells.
                ‘He’s coming to help, Easton,’ Yates says. ‘Don’t worry.’
                ‘I wouldn’t count on it.’ Elle pushes forward. ‘You have all of Teague’s equipment. You’re like masters of the spirit world, right? So end the connection between them, unless you want his blood on your hands.’
                ‘I don’t know how many more times I have to say it.’ Windermere crosses her arms. ‘Spirits are not bound by the limitations of life. We cannot die. We live on.’
                ‘But other things can happen,’ Elle says. ‘Worse things. And you know that.’
                Windermere’s eyes flicker.
                ‘So end it.’
                ‘I feel this would be a good place to make a deal.’
                The voice is deeper and commanded respect. The low hum of chatter around us died a little and we turn to regard it. The woman is squat but strong looking, with close cropped dark hair and pale hazel eyes. Her suit is crisp and she walks lightly like a woman free of troubles. I think she would have been rich in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment