Friday 13 June 2014

Above the Vaulted Sky - Page 164

                ‘Hello Teague,’ I say, presuming he can hear me through the glass.
                The man doesn’t open his eyes, but rather sits absolutely still and speaks. ‘I wondered when you were going to come.’ Terrific actor aren’t I.
                ‘Why did you wonder that?’
                ‘Because these fools believe they can control me.’ This will all happen very quickly. You have one chance to do the right thing.
                I look at him. And then at Elle. I don’t know what to do about Yates. We haven’t had a moment to introduce him to our new ability. If something happens he has to come with us.
                ‘I’m watching you, Easton.’ Agatha stands beside me with her eyes narrowed. She smells a rat.
                ‘Hello, Agatha, how are we today? You bigoted old witch.’ Teague’s words are scathing, but he doesn’t give her the time of day. Five.
                ‘You’ll watch your mouth,’ Agatha spits. ‘After everything you’ve done you haven’t earned the right to insult me.’ Four.
                What’s he going to do? Elle says. Yates, can you hear me?
                I bless Elle’s thinking. She’s always on top of things so much quicker than I am.
                How are you doing that? Yates thinks. A knot releases in my stomach, whatever happens, we’ll be together.
                Three.
                Elle explains our new ability quickly. Agatha has abandoned hope of talking to us. She stands with her hand against the glass, almost willing Teague to challenge her.
                Two.
                ‘You killed all those people with your last experiment. Two men, three woman and a child. Do you really expect me to treat you with anything other than contempt?’
                Lies. Teague thinks. And one.
                The room erupts around us. Light fixtures go dark, some overload and explode in showers of sparks. The population of spirits in the room joins in a unanimous scream as we’re plunged into the gloom.
                ‘Secure the prisoner!’ Agatha yells.
                ‘I think we’ll be making our escape.’
                Teague stands beside me and grips my arm. I can only hope he’s gripped Elle’s too.
                We’re jerked forward and enter the Edge without another moment’s warning, leaving the chaos in the room behind us.

No comments:

Post a Comment