Tuesday 5 August 2014

Above the Vaulted Sky - Page 209

                I trudge down the side of my dune and start up the side of Elle’s. I quicken my pace, using a trick I’ve been mastering.

                I am dead. I think. I feel no fatigue, no tired muscles, or a clutch in my chest. Stamina is an alien concept to me.

                And it works. I top the dune without breaking the memory of a sweat. I feel a small pang of regret in my chest. Does this mean I’ve lost a degree of humanness? Am I no better than Windermere and her group in the castle.

                I see Elle gazing into the distance. She hasn’t seen anything, she’d have told me. I try closing my eyes and seeing the echoes of people in the Edge. It’s a force of habit and it avails nothing but darkness. I’ve come to learn that this place, being the Edge in physical form, works in a different way. As ghosts we’re a part of it, so as we move through it, we learn to work hand in hand. If we’re sufficiently in tune with this world, it will show us everything we used to see once we were blind. It takes a moment of concentration and sensing the world around you. Suddenly the shadow of a person, or a ripple on the air like a heatwave will become clear. Then we can use the people back in town to help them through.

No comments:

Post a Comment