Wednesday 27 August 2014

Above the Vaulted Sky - Page 228


                The world doesn’t erupt around us. We don’t fly from a tear in the universe and skid to a stop in the sand. The world simply takes shape around us and we return to it as though we were never gone. It’s as easy and as calm as opening our eyes.

                The crowd around us do erupt, this time in cheers. There is still singing. Maybe those towards the back who don’t know we’ve made it through. We’re swarmed by them and I can’t help but smile as I’m congratulated and clapped by strong hands from all sides.

                Elle is at the front of the mass before I’ve even blinked. I can see her cheeks are streaked with tearstains. She doesn’t hesitate before she seizes both me and Yates and pulls us into a tight hug. I’m always surprised at how powerful Elle can be. I remember her grasping Teague by the lapels many eternities ago. At least that’s how long it feels.
                I quickly realised that I should never judge someone for their size. Elle proves that to me every day. Prejudice is for the foolish and I’m sure she’d be the first to tell me that too.

No comments:

Post a Comment