Wednesday 27 August 2014

Above the Vaulted Sky - Page 234


‘Do I detect some history?’ Yates presses for information.

‘Only a difference in beliefs,’ Upson replies. ‘It’s pretty much agreed that this place is made from the collective minds of everyone who lives here. Personally I think the desert comes from our idea of loneliness, but the town, the tree, the well, they come from us. I think we could do so much more here if we weren’t kept under Tarquin’s idea of peace. He doesn’t tell anyone when they arrive but more and more people have been leaving. It’s a lot easier than he thinks, or so they say.’

‘Do you definitely know people have got home?’ I ask.

Upson shakes his head. ‘It’s impossible to say,’ he replies. ‘I only hope they didn’t fall down to that place.’

Yates instantly looks away, obviously ashamed. ‘Oh, sorry,’ Upson continues. ‘I didn’t mean to…’

‘It’s fine,’ Yates says. He quickly changes the subject. ‘What’s he been doing?’

No comments:

Post a Comment