Friday 29 August 2014

Above the Vaulted Sky - Page 240


Chapter Thirty-Three


                It strikes me that though Tarquin had said that they needed help to get ready for Teague’s recital, what with the absence of anything in the way of chairs, a stage or indeed anything that would be useful in a recital situation, there wasn’t a lot to do.

                On account of this fact, I spent the day rooting around for information from the town’s residents. Upson was right in the way that the elderly liked to talk. I had been given the life stories of four different residents, quite happily sitting there and watching the sands roll by, when I decided to find my friends again.

                It could never be said that anyone was unhappy here. The people who could remember life on earth spoke of it fondly and with happy remembrance of their time before. A lot of them spoke with a great fear of the spinning darkness between here, there and the places that lay beyond. This meant that the vast majority had grown an attachment to the town through the fear of that and nothing else.

                This is by no means an evil place. Even now I found myself dragged in by the peace. No one ever seems to argue here, for there is nothing much to argue about. Spates are settled quickly and are usually formed around a high school type of love related arguments. I ran into Elle at one point who observed, quite rightly that it was bound to happen: There’s not much else to do here.

                I walk across the square again, seeing that the blazing sun casts long shadows towards me. I step into one and savour the moment of cool air before the close heat traps me again. People are already gathering themselves into rows for the singing. I realise that I haven’t seen Teague all day long and his absence is really beginning to bother me.

                I run into Yates near the front. He stands with a group of older men. I have to remind myself of his actual age and consider that these are people that he probably feels instantly comfortable with. I silently hope he’s not starting to enjoy life here. There’s more for Yates in the world than sand.

No comments:

Post a Comment