Wednesday 27 August 2014

Above the Vaulted Sky - Page 229

                'I’m so glad you’re back!’ she says into our shoulders. I look at Yates. His eyes are closed, his face collected into a look of contentment. Outwardly his body shakes from the ordeal he’s been through. ‘You, get in here.’ Elle grabs Upson too and pulls him in to us. ‘Do we have vacancies in the gang, Easton?’ she asks.

                Upson laughs. ‘I’m just happy I could help.’ He separates himself a little awkwardly. I wonder how used the military man is to outward displays of affection. ‘I’ll be sure to look you up when we get back home.’

                ‘Home?’ Tarquin says. He parts the crowd and joins us. I can see more than ever the great respect he commands. ‘Don’t tell me you’re leaving us after you’ve seen the darkness.’

                ‘I don’t want to discuss this,’ Upson says. ‘I’m just glad we’re back.’
                Tarquin looks at us, still huddled together. It’s as though he’s just realised we’re all here too. ‘I knew you had it in you.’ He directs his words at all of us. ‘Such happy additions to our group here.’ He smiles at us, but I can see the pleading in his eyes. Upson has undermined him in front of everyone. I get the impression that people who want to leave the desert do so quietly, without upsetting Tarquin’s status quo. I won’t be a party to it. People have a right to decide to do what they want.

No comments:

Post a Comment