Tuesday 5 August 2014

Above the Vaulted Sky - Page 211

               ‘Yeah and he’ll be in preparation for the recital tonight,’ I reply. ‘That’s something I really want to see.’

                Elle sighes. ‘I just want to find Yates and get out of this place. There’s a point when serene starts to grate on a girl. And those beds! If you can call them beds.’

                The house Elle and I share had been split into two rooms upstairs. The beds were densely packed piles of sand with cloth over the top, I assume made from disgarded clothes of the residents here. Tarquin had explained that the vast majority of residents sleep on the floor. The beds are for newcomers to help them adjust to minimalist living.

                We start back towards the town. A lot of people here believe that people only get stuck within distance of the town. They believe that their collective mind acts as a sort of magnet for souls. People run around the edge of the town like they’re circling a plug hole only to be brought through by their strong will. I admire their optimism but I do worry; what if this desert is infinite and there are thousands of people trapped out there in that in between hell?
                I try to put the thought out of my mind but I can’t seem to shake it. Powered by the worry for my friend, the questions with no answers continue to circulate, intensified by the all-encompassing power of the new morning sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment