Tuesday 12 August 2014

Above the Vaulted Sky - Page 223

                Easton, Elle. Just our names repeated over and over.

                I’m here, Yates. I think, desperate for him to get away from that blackness.

                We trudge faster, at points sliding down the slope, our hearts leaping from our chests with the panic of it.

                ‘Yates!’ I call, but not too loudly. I don’t want to startle him and cause him to fall. He must be feet from the brink, simply standing like a diver on a board, ready to take the plunge.

                He turns. Tears streak his face. He’s deathly pale like a vampire, and his eyes are circled. How long has he been here?

                ‘You’re not real,’ he cries. ‘Nothing is. How can it be? Why would it be?’

                ‘I am real.’ I hold up a hand to stop Upson in his tracks. I want him to be comfortable, I want him to believe me. I want him to come home. ‘Yates, I promise, we heard you. This is Upson, a man from a place we found. We can go back, I promise.’

                I smile but my fear is difficult to hide. I imagine what this place must have done to him. Amplified the loneliness, cut him off from everything. I wonder could I dive forward, concentrate and bring us back up, but I don’t even know how to take myself back up to the town.

                Yates moves towards the brink. ‘Is this it?’ he says. ‘Is this what you want?’

                ‘No, Yates, no I don’t, I want you to come back with me.’
                ‘It’s just one thing after another isn’t it,’ he says. ‘I thought I was better, I thought nothing bad would happen to me, I was – I was over it!’ He shouts the last words.

No comments:

Post a Comment