Saturday 9 August 2014

Above the Vaulted Sky - Page 221

                ‘Let’s get over there before it’s too late,’ I say.

                I begin to move, trying to direct my way up the slope all the while knowing that the instability of the land will take me downwards. I hear Upson make a hesitant move to follow. I don’t know how long we’ve been in this place. Teague said that time worked in a different way between these worlds. If a week had passed in a couple of hours between earth and the Edge, who knew what the displacement was like here. Our half hour might have passed already. I knew one thing, I wasn’t going to leave this place without Yates beside me. I don’t care what Upson decides to do.

                Secretly, I pray that the other man doesn’t leave me. I don’t think I could stand this place alone for too long.

                We grow closer and closer to the echo. I hope it’s Yates. There might be thousands of people down here. People left the town all the time in search of something better? How many fall and just keep falling? What if this place is infinite, going on and on into nothing, engorged by the fear of the hesitant and they all lie in echoes, just out of the reach of our sight?

                I shake the thought from my head and trudge onwards. The pool of fear remains in the pit of my stomach and I try my hardest to focus on the job at hand.

                If a place like this exists, then I can’t help but feel terribly alone in the universe. A place so large and so empty, watched over by no one and nothing. It is then that I realise how much I don’t want Upson to leave. There might be no one watching over us in this waste land from on high, but while I have him here, we can look out for each other.

                ‘How long were you in the town for?’ I ask.

                ‘Oh years now.’ Upson seems glad I’ve broken the silence. I turn and see him confidently wading forward, but a set of teeth grasp his lower lip, a sure sign of anxiety. ‘I love the peace, but I get this feeling sometimes, you know? That there might be more than a village in the middle of the desert. Makes me think of home.’

                ‘I suppose once you start thinking like that then it’s hard to stay,’ I observe. ‘I’d be the same.’

No comments:

Post a Comment