Wednesday 27 August 2014

Above the Vaulted Sky - Page 237


‘We’d better get to helping out,’ he says. ‘Have a dig around, see what we can find out. Target the old people, they always talk more.’

I wonder was that advice for now or just life in general. I think of Benjamin, always in the park, every Friday without fail. He was always talking about life, about the world. It makes me feel guilty that in the year I’ve known him I’ve never asked. Why Central Park? Why that day? When I get back, I resolve to ask him.

Upson disappears into the crowd and leaves us alone.

‘I didn’t know your dad was in the forces?’ I ask.
‘Yeah, well,’ she says. ‘You know something? Something really bad?’ She looks down at her feet. ‘Before I met you too I was always looking for him. Because I expected it, you know. Expected to find him. Stepped on an IED, shot, blown up, anything like that. I wasn’t looking for him because what girl hopes their dad’s going to die?’

No comments:

Post a Comment