Tuesday 5 August 2014

Above the Vaulted Sky - Page 213

                ‘What’s that supposed to mean?’ Elle’s face switches to worry so quickly it’s remarkable.

                Tarquin holds his hands up, a sign of defence. ‘He’s not in a place we’ve ventured to before. He’s close to the Abyss but he’s holding himself from falling. I’m not even sure we can get him.’

                I put a hand to my forehead. I wonder how many people would stay their killing hand if they knew a thing about the afterlife. Those who throw themselves in front of trains or take the pill they shouldn’t. Would it make them pause and reconsider? This place is a land of choices, of walking a fine line between safety and oblivion so much more than the land of the living. And here, this place feels like a tightrope. I worry that it’s one Yates may have difficulty balancing on.

                ‘How would you suggest going to fetch him?’ Elle asks. She’s calmed herself and her words emerge steady and forthright, the indication of bottled anger. At Tarquin, at the world? I couldn’t be sure. It’s times like these that I wish I could still talk to her with my thoughts. We have to get Yates home and soon. This is no place for any of us.

                ‘We can go and get him,’ I say.

                There’s an instant reaction from the crowd around us. A muttering of dissent that makes it seem like I’ve insulted their very way of being.

                ‘You’ll understand the idea is unpopular,’ Tarquin explains. ‘Fear of the darkness is what keeps us here. Fear and the spirit of togetherness.’
                I resist the urge to roll my eyes. I can feel them straining. If you ask me it’s mainly the fear that keeps a community in this town. Only fear of the unknown would keep people sleeping on floors and denying themselves everything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment