Wednesday 27 August 2014

Above the Vaulted Sky - Page 227


               All of a sudden, the sounds grow clearer. I can make out words and the layers in the melody of voices. I can hear now a lot clearer than the first time I was saved by it. It sounds otherworldly because it’s not one song at all. It’s a vast collection of songs, like every person in the town is saying their personal prayer for our safe return. I can hear proclamations of home and safety, of returning and peace. Warnings of how far we can fall and how we can take hold of our bravery and rise higher.
                Deep inside me, the part of my personality which sways towards science and away from faith grumbles. But my eyes are seeing evidence of powers greater than the ones I know. I would never say that this proves the existence of any higher power, but there is a power in people. Collected together, their minds combined and concentrated on a single goal, the collective can achieve anything. There is science in that, science I don’t understand but science nonetheless. If this experience has proved my belief of anything, then it’s my belief in people.

No comments:

Post a Comment