Friday 8 August 2014

Above the Vaulted Sky - Page 220

                ‘Easton!’ comes a reply, obviously far away but so loud it sounds like he’s next to me.


                ‘Upson! Where are you?’

                ‘On your left, you have to let your eyes adjust.’

                I try to focus on his voice and after a few seconds I make out a thick outline. He’s mostly buried in the ground, obviously trying to hold himself there.

                ‘This is what they’re scared of,’ he calls. ‘I’ve heard stories, but…’

                I see him looking towards the edge. I start to move. The less time we spend here the better.

                ‘Can you see Yates?’ I ask. I move carefully but as quickly as I dare. Each step includes me driving my foot deep into the forgiving ground that yields to the force I apply to it.

                With passing terror, I see that despite my best efforts, each footstep brings me close to the edge. It must be about eighty metres now and lessening all the time.

                Soon enough, I reach Upson’s side.

                ‘I can’t see anyone,’ he says. His voice cracks with fear, not an emotion I expect from the large man who volunteered so fearlessly. I wonder does my voice sound the same? Does this place reduce all of us to our deepest primal instincts, fear being the most predominant and overpowering of them all. We are all children to something so big and dark and scary.

                ‘But we heard him, we heard the echo of him,’ I say, logic defying him. ‘We just have to look for that.’

                I cast around. It’s so hard to concentrate, completely different to the hot quiet of the desert dunes. 

                ‘I-I think I see something,’ Upson says. He clears his throat and gains some composure. I can tell he’s not a man to be beaten so easily. ‘Over there, the ripples. ‘
                I think I see it too, a break in the air, like a plume of steam or a heatwave. Yates was there, or at least he once was.

No comments:

Post a Comment